Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Runs: 1/23 - 1/29

Mon (1/23): 3.5 mi, :31 - Twin Lakes PM run - Mellow evening shake out run

Tue: 5 mi, 1:26, 2,400' - Green Mountain via Amphitheater, Saddle Rock, Greenman - This makes Green summit #20 and it couldn't have been a nicer day for it - low clouds, no wind (finally), running the whole way. Super icy on lower Greenman.

Wed: Off

Thu: 4.1 mi, :34, Twin Lakes PM run - Quick run after work

Fri: 5 mi, :44, East Boulder Trail PM run - I was itching to get some miles and a bit of rollers in, so I ran Teller at night for the first time. By the time I made it down to the last hill before the farms, I heard the howling and yelping of coyotes - probably five or six. So, I turned around before entering the den so to speak. Fun night though, really quiet with the exception of the rabid wild dogs.

Sat: 12.7 mi, 2:55, 3,045', Bear Peak via Bear Creek Canyon - Went the same route as last week. Strong gusts made for a really chilly and tedious summit. Bear Peak West Ridge was a bit more manageable than last week with most of the trail packed out a little more. Really digging the track through Bear Creek Canyon right now.

Sun: 8 mi, 1:24, 1,264', Doudy, Spring Brook North, Fowler, Goshawk, S. Brook South - I headed to Eldorado Springs to check out the Goshawk trail, which I hadn't previously run. Accessing it from Doudy and Spring Brook North made for a really pleasant loop - meandering through the forest on pristine track the whole way except for a short dirt road on Spring Brook North. Nice morning. Legs felt good from the day before.

----------

Week Totals:
38 miles
7,209 vertical feet
7 hours, 36 mins

The latest weekly routine (running a couple of summits, flat short runs, and cross-country stuff) has made for a refreshing variety. I get bored quickly with too much of the same terrain, so I may stick with this pattern for a little while. If anything, I may push for one more summit during the week, but I'll see how things go. I can almost see the 60-mile weeks ahead!

This month is shaping up to be an unprecedented January in that I have started the year with a fair amount of mileage, which will hopefully springboard me into much higher mileage summer months than last year.


Bear Peak

Bear Creek

Spring Brook North, Summertime (Photo: Protrails.com)
(Photo: Protrails.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment