Saturday, April 30, 2011

The End of April

4/25 – 5/1


This week was my longest in terms of mileage year-to-date, 31 miles. Wrapping up the month this week, I knew I wanted to make this a high mileage week to end strong. It was a good week in that I had a PR during my speed work and I learned how to work around my current left knee issue (yes, it’s still an “issue”) in time for the Sunday long run.


Monday - 3.5 mi (31:10) Easy run on Twin Lakes loop


Tuesday - 3.5 mi (31:08) Easy run on Twin Lakes loop


Thursday - 4 mi speed work (3 x 800 – 3:46, 3:19, 2:53, 31:44 tot mins) - The 2:53 would be a PR split for me. I had plenty left in the tank for a strong split, so I pushed it more than usual. It was definitely an anaerobic effort, but numbers are numbers.


Saturday - 7 mi (56 mins) easy run on Bobolink Trail to Marshall Mesa – Played around with different strides. Still trying to increase speed through higher turn over rather than simply extending my stride. Bobolink was beautiful as everything is blooming and South Boulder creek was flowing decently. Plus, I got to run with the cows, which is always a bonus!


Getting into the car, my left knee (at this point, I’ve determined it’s a tight IT band) totally gave out to the point where I couldn’t depress the clutch pedal and I could hardly make it up the stairs to my place. This was the worst flare up I’ve had since the initial manifestation three weeks prior. I got home and spent some good time stretching it out with the hopes it’d be good to go for the following day’s long run on the Mesa.


Sunday 5/1: 13 mi long run (2:32) Mesa Loop – After running this trail for the third straight week, it’s becoming a little more familiar, though it’s still an effort-intensive run.


Despite a few stretches just prior to the run, my IT band tightened up in the first few feet with the tension persistent throughout the first mile. With some careful attention to foot-strike and slow adjustments for trail pitch changes, it held up nicely with no pain to speak of. Finished strong.


The finish would have been much nicer had someone not stolen my shirt and gloves I left at the trailhead. Apparently they were undeterred by the hefty stench and sweat-soaked clothes, which leads me to believe they needed them more than me.


And now for three of my favorite things: Ween, Legos, and stop motion....enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure the flute player is "lip-syncing" it. I didn't see his fingers move once!

    ReplyDelete