Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Weekly Update 2/20-2/26 (A Little So Cal Sunshine)

2/20 Mon - 0

2/21 Tue - 6 mi (:52) Twin Lakes - Easy run to get back into the groove after the gnarly long run from the previous Sunday.

2/22 Wed - 6 mi (1:10, 700') Mesa Trail - Mellow, still a bit tired from the following week.

2/23 Thu - Went to LA for an extended weekend.

2/24 Fri - 5 mi (:58, 1,700') Mission Peak in Santa Susana Mountains (Three Trees) - I've always wanted to run this mountain and so I finally did. Started from O'Melveny Park in Granada Hills. This was a complete departure from the usual Rocky Mountain runs I do. The track was perfectly smooth and super steep. To not be under an evergreen canopy the whole time was strange - the mountain is completely covered in green grass. Great views of downtown LA too. Hit the summit in 28 mins. On the descent I felt a rather unusual blister form under my right foot.

2/25 Sat - 6 mi (1,600', 1:45) Hollywood Hills w/ my dude Dez - Perfect day with mid-70's temps. We started on Canyon Dr from the Hollywood side of the mountains and headed up to Old Mulholland Hwy, which we then took to an overlook above the observatory and traversed the range back toward the Hollywood sign and then back down to the trailhead. All-around super fun run. We even had some rather entertaining singletrack bush-wacking sessions on the north side. We grabbed some really good vegan food down on Sunset for lunch. The pesky blister held up fine all morning too.

2/26 Sun - 3 mi (:30, 500') Santa Monica Mountains Trippet Ranch trail - So, this was meant to be the weekly 15-mile long run, but the blister from the other day had become pretty infected and running on it proved to be pretty painful. It's too bad because this trail was wicked! I had meant to connect to the Backbone trail down on Old Topanga Rd, but once I got down there, I could hardly walk. I sadly turned around and ran up Entrada Rd (nice climb). I'll be back to tackle the Backbone soon.

----------

Week Totals:
Miles: 26
Vert: 4,500'
Time: 5:15

February Totals:
Miles: 85
Vert: 24,689'
Time: 21:53

February turned out to be pretty disappointing from a numbers perspective due to getting sick and then getting an infected blister on my foot (yet again). I can't help the former, but the latter was totally preventable and I obviously didn't learn my lesson from the last time this happened. The trip to LA was a nice reprieve from the Colorado winter temps.

I will be ramping up the vert and the mileage in earnest in March because I really don't have much more time before the Dirt Thirty in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment