Sunday, October 30, 2011

Weekly Update: 10/24-10/30 (Taper Week 1)

Tuesday AM (10/25) - 7 mi (56:01, 500') Easy run up Doudy Draw/Spring Brook/Community Ditch - Took it really easy on this run to test out the left foot pain I had experienced the weekend prior. Everything felt pretty good.

Thursday AM (10/27) - 9 mi (1:52, 1,400') Doudy/Spring Brook/Mesa to North Shan - After the Tuesday/Wednesday snow storm, there was about 8-10" of fresh powder up on the Mesa, which made for a perfect opportunity to use my micorspikes for the first time this season. The temperature was a scant 12 degrees, adding to the fun. Although the run was hilariously slow, it was mighty enlightening to float through the cotton-like powder under the direction of my headlamp. I was the only soul out there and managed to make second tracks, as someone else beat me to the virgin snow the day prior.

Saturday AM (10/29) - 13.4 mi (2:29, 3,250') Mesa Trail - The last of the "long" runs before the marathon next week. The soft powder from a couple days prior had now been packed down to ice, which made this a particularly slow effort as I didn't bring my microspikes. Bear Canyon was mostly ice. That said, I was only 16 minutes off of my fastest time on this trail. Not terrible.

Sunday AM (10/30) - 5.2 mi (1:42, 2,400') Green Mtn via Gregory/Ranger - I couldn't help but tag a summit this week. Though, I should have exercised a bit more foresight and taken the microspikes because Ranger was completely ice-packed above Gregory Canyon. this made for a very very slow ascent. I was basically relegated to traveling through the dense snowpack to the sides of the ice going up and down. Plowing through fresh powder isn't a problem, but when the temperatures rise and the snow compacts to be much heavier, it makes for a laborious trek. Nonetheless, it was still a blast - as it always is on this route. Plus, I only biffed twice, one of which wasn't even ice related.

Weekly Totals:
Miles: 35
Vertical Feet: 7,550'
Time: 6:59

Taper week 1 is a wrap. I have been so anxious to get real miles this week after the disappointing omission of the long run last Sunday, but I played it smart (I think). Winter is certainly here and I've realized microspikes will be necessary in many forthcoming runs - lesson learned on Green.

Beneath, are some pics from Sunday's run up Green Mtn:

General trail conditions all morning


Longs Peak in the clouds

Pretty decent cougar track on Ranger

Boulder from the top of Green Mtn

Microspikes were sorely missed.

Another perfect cat paw - Followed this guy's tracks all the way down Ranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment