Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Weekly Update: 7/18 – 7/24

This week was rife with monotony, humidity, exhaustion, and ultimately sickness. Yay! I started the week with the intention to run three eleven milers at Teller Farms, one of which a tempo-ish run, and to end the week with a sixteen miler on the Mesa Trail. Things started ok, but progressively turned to shit as the week came to a close.


Tuesday – 11 mi (1:37, 1,574 ft) tempo run at Teller Farms – I realized I could park at the trailhead (rather than further down on a small trail that leads to the trailhead) and do a double out-and-back, turning around just at the end of the hills. This was a great plan because I could effectively double the climbing from 787 feet to 1,574 feet. Great! – I thought. Posthumously, I realized this might have contributed to my demise in the coming days. This run, however, ended relatively strong and I felt great. The heat was just as relentless as it had been weeks prior, but I had dialed in my hydration well to compensate.


Thursday –11 mi (1:33, 1,574 ft) Easy run at Teller Farms - The second eleven miler, again at Teller, as a more assiduous run as it was focused on tempo work, with some stronger paces during the middle of the run. I hadn’t kept track of my splits during the tempo, but I knew I wasn’t holding out well enough at tempo pace and backed off a bit early. Again, this is on the hilly section of the trail for the entirety of the run. I ended this run a bit more exhausted, which is usually the case with my tempo runs, so I didn’t think about it too much. Though, in hindsight, I probably should have eaten and drank more in recovery for the easy run the following day.


Friday –11 mi (1:39, 1,574 ft) Easy run at Teller Farms – I started with a nice and easy pace for the first 5 miles, but for the second out-and-back I foolishly chose a slightly faster pace. I was dealing with some annoying indigestion throughout the first half, which I probably thought I could simply run off by going faster. Stupid. By the end of the run I felt unusually tired. Not exhausted, but drowsy. This would be the last run of the week.


Later that evening, I left work with a wicked fever, which put me in bed for the whole weekend. It sucks skipping runs, but long runs are tough to pass up. Drats.

No comments:

Post a Comment