Sunday, July 29, 2012

Weekly Update: 7/23 - 7/29

Tue: 5 mi (1:09, 2,400') Green Mtn - Tagged the summit in :46, which wasn't stellar, but not complete crap, I suppose. The descent was a different story though; a couple guys were behind me, so I sort of kicked into race mode for the fun of it.

Wed: 13.4 mi (2:12, 3,250') Mesa Trail - I haven't run the full Mesa Trail before work in a long time. Felt great heading toward Eldo, but I could have used water on the way back.

Thu: 3.5 mi (:29) Twin Lakes - A quick little cruise before dinner

Sat: 10 mi (2:10, 2,130') Pawnee Pass Trail - So, after getting snubbed the last time I attempted this run, I resolved to take another crack at it and I'm glad I did. The rolling, soft tuft of the timberline trail is a great warm up to the much steeper pitches of the switchbacks above treeline. After powering through the switchbacks, the level alpine bench is a great area for recovery and affords pretty bitchin' views of the surrounding Indian Peaks. Upon reaching the sign at the top of the pass, hanging a right heads up another 500' to the summit of Pawnee Peak. Or one could continue on the Pawnee Pass Trail as it drops down into the West side of the Continental Divide into no man's land. I want to go to no man's land.

Sun: 21 mi (4:11, 4,510') Mesa Trail/Doudy/Spring Brook/Goshawk/ back on Mesa - It feels so good to get a nice 20-miler in. Even though it wasn't at altitude, the climbs still get me. Not too sore from the prior day. The heat was killer toward the end of the run though. I can't wait for Fall and Winter.

--------

Week Totals:
Miles: 53
Vert: 12,290'
Time: 10:11

Following a couple of weeks of tenuous inspiration, things turned around this week. I, frankly, haven't been interested in going into high gear in preparation for the race in a few weeks, so I've basically forced myself to lace up. Otherwise, I'd be forced to ditch out on yet another race this year, but not due to injury, just laziness, which is totally unacceptable.

I have fallen back into a solid groove of running especially following such inspiring efforts at the Hardrock 100 and Speedgoat 50k. If I can grab a couple more higher-mileage weeks with some more high-altitude long runs, I should be golden.

And because I am took absentminded to bring a camera on some of my more picturesque runs, what follows are some pics from protrails.com of Pawnee Pass Trail.






No comments:

Post a Comment