Sunday, August 19, 2012

Weekly Update: 8/13 - 8/19

Tue: 3.1mi (:47:50, 1,357') Mt Sanitas - Evening run up the little guy. Really hot with bad air quality from the fires a few states away. Hit the summit in a not-to-shabby :22. Despite it's relatively small nature (compared to Bear and Green), this mountain is always a brutal climb—thank goodness it doesn't take too long.

Thu: 5mi (1:04, 1,800') Fern Canyon (to Nebel Horn) from North Shanahan via Cragmoor - Earlier in the day I noticed Boulder Open Space opened this trail back up two days prior following the Flagstaff fire a couple months back. I couldn't wait, so I headed up straight after work. I got a late start, so once I reached the saddle (behind Nebel Horn) I turned back so I wouldn't have to descend the super precipitous trail in the dark. So excited it's open again—Bear Peak summits are officially back in order.

Fri: 7mi (1:02) Twin Lakes/Boulder Country Club Loop - Got out for an evening cruise on the roads near my house to quickly test out the new New Balance MT1010s that arrived at my doorstep earlier in the day. They feel really comfy, but wished I could have hit some trails to feel out the traction. Soon enough.

Sat: 9.1mi (4:14, 2,130') Pawnee Pass hike/run with Mehri - We planned to just hike this, but it turned into a combination of hiking and running. Lots of pictures and mellow cruising. Nice to be out for the same amount of time I usually spend on my long runs. Since I'm tapering, it was a welcomed departure from the usual 20-miler.

Sun: 9.2mi (2:07, 3,265') Bear Peak - From Chautauqua, I cruised over to Fern from Mesa, hitting the junction in 40 mins. From there, hit the saddle 20 minutes later and reached the summit in 1:18. I wore the Addidas Mana 5s today, which, much to my surprise, offered decent purchase on the ups. The same can't be said for the super steep descents, but with a little side-stepping, the slippage wasn't terrible.

-------

Week Totals:
Miles: 33
Vertical: 8,550'
Time: 9:17

A really mellow week as I tapper for the Silverton Alpine 50k next week. I'm feeling pretty confident in my fitness and hope to run a strong race. Considering the current course record is 4:26 (8:30ish/miles), I'd be happy getting close to that, maybe 9:15s.













No comments:

Post a Comment